This application is an attempt to create a new open source 2d game engine in c++ based largely on exisiting open source projects. Feel free to distribute this project as is or modified, or utilize any portion of it, for any purpose. I only ask you give me credit somewhere visible in your derivative works, and provide a link to this site.
Current features implemented:
- Player controls via keyboard or mouse.
- Simple AI Players
- 8 direction walk/stand animation for isometric games
- 2 direction walk/stand animation for platformers
- Sprites that rotate automatically for games in an overhead view
- Smoothed tracking camera with smooth zoom functions
- Rigid body physics provided by box2d
- Simple colision detection alternative to external library
- All resources loaded through resource script
- Game state engine
- Robust simulation architecture
- Robust gui system based on guichan
- Tileable and layerable backgrounds
- Backgrounds can be tiled randomly, via a map file, or a combination of the two.
- Visual WYSIWIG map and tile editor (thanks to tile studio and a custom map exporter script)
- Simulations loaded from xml files.
- All simulated entities are modifiable via xml.
- Collision boundry and bounding box rendering toggleable for designers
- Audio output using the Audiere library ( It can play Ogg Vorbis, MP3, FLAC, uncompressed WAV, AIFF, MOD, S3M, XM, and IT files)
- Music and sound manager
- Smarter random map generators
- Visual WYSIWIG GUI editor
- Visual WYSIWIG particle editor
- Pathfinding algorithms
- Better AI
- Saving / Loading ( via xml? )
Right now because the engine is pre-alpha and many major changes are still taking place, the only way to get AnimateDream2D is through its SourceForge svn repository. I recommend using Tortoise svn to download the project and keep it up to date. If anyone else would like to contribute to the project I can set up permissions for others to commit to the svn repository.
svn co https://animatedream2d.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/animatedream2d animatedream2d
This engine is built on top five supurb open source resources. Note in the latest revision you do not need to download these to get AnimateDream 2D to work. Nevertheless they are worth checking out.
- Haaf's Game Engine or
for faster easy direct x rendering.
- Guichan for a
flexible gui system that hooks into HGE.
- Box2D, a very fast physics
engine designed for 2d games.
- TinyXML, to
make games easily configurable through xml files.
[Already included in the AnimateDream2D project because its tiny!]
- Audiere, a high-level audio API
Contact: If you have any further questions feel free to email me.